Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pentasa and side effects

     So I have been taking Pentasa for 2.5 months.  It's extremely costly for me, but it has put me into a stable state along with my Remicade.  I thought ok I can spare the expense if it means that I will be able to live a semi-normal life in regards to health.  In the past 7-10 days however, I have noticed that I have hives, headaches, and frequent urination.
The other night I jumped to the Internet in an unrelated search to find, if any, long term effects of Pentasa, and make sure that there wasn't a trade-off to being in Crohn's remission now and have something like liver failure later as a result of the medicine.  What I found was that there isn't a long term trade-off to Pentasa, which calmed that nerve, but what I read irritated another.  My symptoms that I have noticed may be side effects to Pentasa.  If this is the case I'm left asking myself "now what."  I've been on so many medicines prior to surgery, and after surgery I struggled to get my Crohn's under control.  So now my Crohn's is under control, but my body doesn't like the medicine I am taking...Enter a sarcastic "AWESOME" here. 
     According to http://www.drugs.com/pentasa.html, http://treato.com/Pentasa,Frequent+Urination/?a=s, and http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/drugs/pentasa.html these websites list side effects and potential causes of the said side effects.  The first thing that I read was the importance of taking Pentasa as prescribed.  I'm sure you are thinking "well DUH," but I've mentioned before my issue with taking medicine.  I was able to swallow the pills whole for about 2 months.  I then resorted to just swallowing the contents inside the capsules.  I learned that Pentasa is a timed release formula and the capsule along with the granules inside are designed so that Pentasa releases it's medicine into the intestine, where our issues of inflammation with Crohn's relies.  Even though I have been taking the medicine improperly for the last month or less I have not had any flare related issues.  I have just been experiencing frequent urination and my bladder is always full each time, wicked headaches that I put on the low side of a migraine, and hives that are itchy....combined this is all very irritating.
  Now I am taking the pills as prescribed for the 2nd day in a row.  I still have all side effects, and the headache is unbearable at times.  I've determined to continue taking the medicine for a total of 4 days as prescribed originally to see if there is any subsiding of side effects.  If there isn't any progress then I shall call my doctor, and make an appointment to discuss the experiences I am having with Pentasa.
     I am nervous about what medicine is next.  My gastro tried to prescribe Cipro and Flagyl prior to Pentasa, but I had to take those both after surgery and I puked trying to take the two.  When I did get Cipro and Flagyl down I was nauseous through out the whole day.  So I'd be less than thrilled to take those again. 
     I've been discussing all natural medicines with my friend Tori, and at the start of next week I should have them to take.  1 of them is for controlling my anemia, and raising my iron intake levels.  The other is to help repair the intestinal tract that has been damaged due to Crohn's.  If I'm going to become allergic to Pentasa then I hope that the 2nd medicine could potentially substitute Pentasa, and work with my Remicade infusions.
     The life of a Crohn's Casualty is always so medically interesting.  I'm getting extremely tired of this non-constant life.  I wish for everyone a splendid week.
Take Care!

2 comments:

  1. I was on Pentasa for years back in the 1990s. It stopped working for me, and the GI Doc placed me back on Prednisone. I don't recall ever having any side effects. But, I'm probably the exception, not the rule.

    Cipro didn't bother me either, although it increased diarrhea. But I absolutely hated being on Flagil. It always made me feel ill.

    Good luck. I hope that whatever medication you settle down on works with on ill effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had headaches with Sulfasalazine/Salasopirine, but not with Pentasa. It is time release, and it's tricky because it may be more effective when active inflammation slows down its progress through. with terminal ilieal Crohn's. Hope things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete