Monday, May 13, 2013

Selfish Homemaker

     I've mentioned before a few of the perks to co-owning a business, and today's perk is being finished by 1pm.  Granted I started cleaning at 6am, but I am already home and changed into comfy clothes.  I love being able to put on my relax pants (PJ bottoms) and do whatever I need to get done around the house.  Today when I got home I started some laundry, and I still have to wash some dishes, and then I'm making Chicken Parm. for dinner.  I wear the Suzy Homemaker apron well, and my boyfriend doesn't understand how lucky he is, well maybe he does :).  Anyway...
     I wanted to tell y'all that after I finished my last blog post I had thought I jinxed myself, but it was sort of a false alarm.  The next day after my blog post I had ate breakfast and made myself a homemade latte.  I went off to work and about 2 hours after I ate I cramped up pretty badly, and wasn't very useful cleaning for about 3-4 hours.  I came home and relaxed that night and thought that I was starting a flare-up.  Which threw my mind into overdrive figuring out what it meant for me now cause it meant Pentasa wasn't working with the Remicade.  The next morning when I awoke I had a little clearer thought process, and thought maybe the coffee had thrown my system into an abdominal cramp so I had my bowl of cereal and got ready for work as usual.  We arrived at the 1st house, and 2 hours after eating I cramped up again, and laid on the floor until I was able to move and get back to work, at a much slower pace, but I was still working.  My mom, who works with me, asked me about my eating habits and if anything had changed, and I told her about my new cereal and coffee intake 2 days ago, and how I just had cereal that morning.  So we determined together that I should stop eating the cereal, and I haven't had any issues with abdominal cramping since.  I'm so grateful to my medical team that we have found a solution to keep my flare-ups at bay.  The change in my personality is easily noticeable, and people tell me the color has returned to my face.  I hope this lasts for a long period of time. 
     For my fellow Crohn's Casualties that are still experiencing flare-ups, I'm sorry.  I feel your pain, and 3 weeks ago I was in the same boat.
     I wanted to take a moment to talk about why I started this blog.  I've received a few comments from readers, friends, and families telling me how brave I am for sharing my story.  I thank y'all for thinking I am brave, but I must admit I have selfish reasons for this blog.  I was having issues coping with still being sick after having surgery, and felt like the only person my age who had Crohn's.  I think the last concept came from being in the hospital 4-5 times after surgery I was always with elderly people.  I had thought about starting a blog for quite some time, but didn't think anyone would read it.  I finally got over my fear of no one reading the blog, and knew that this vent session would be therapeutic to me. I find myself much less emotional about my life, and people who I don't know read my blog as well as friends and family.  I think this is a great way for me to share intimate details about my crohn's life while remaining behind a computer screen so judgment doesn't matter.  Although since being in the hospital I think I have no shame left...the lack of privacy while staying there has opened me up to be honest about things that go on with me, and I believe that's the only way my advice can be useful to those who have crohn's or are interested in learning about crohn's.

I wish y'all a marvelous week!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I am really glad you write this blog. From my own experience, I know that's great for other people with Crohn to read about someone else with simillar troubles. In the beginning of my life with Crohn (and PSC 3 years later) I was grateful for every article or blog post and I felt better knowing I am not alone with this. Now I have reached pretty balanced and peaceful state of mind, but for the others who are diagnosed with this disease, I'm happy this and many other blogs exist. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pasqual for reading my blog, and keeping up on us fellow Crohn's Casualties who still struggle with the day to day.

    ReplyDelete