Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Continuation of my diagnosis

So in February of 2011 I met with my Gastroenterologist. He's a great doctor, but looked at me and stated that I'd be pretty with more weight. I stifled a laugh as the nurse told him that wasn't the proper thing to say. He then back tracked and told me I was pretty, but he wants to make me healthy. Which I will admit was a nice thing to hear because being sick and not having proper treatment, for a lack of better words, sucks.

We checked my symptoms:

√ Mouth Sores
√ Loss of appeitite
√ Weight loss
√ Abdominal Pain
√Diarrhea
√ Blood in stool
√ Swollen Joints
So he ordered me to have a colonoscopy, which would let him know for sure that I did indeed have Crohn's.
Crohn's disease is named after Dr. Burrill B. Crohn, who first described the disease in 1932.  Crohn’s disease belongs to a group of conditions known as Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD). Crohn’s disease is a chronic inflammatory condition of the gastrointestinal tract.  Crohn’s most commonly affects the end of the small bowel (the ileum) and the beginning of the colon, but it may affect any part of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, from the mouth to the anus.  All of this is according to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.
Once diagnosed with Crohn's we started the treatment process.
The following link is for the type of medications that are used for treatment. http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/crohns-medication.html  I have been on every type, and the one I am currently on is a Biologic Therapy.  The other medicines couldn't contain my flare-ups, and my gastro dr. recognized this immediately, and placed me on the biologic called Remicade.  I have been on this medicine for over a year, and found when I started the medicine it worked amazingly.  I will write my next post strictly on Remicade, and the benefits I had, and my "new normal" that happens now.  Hope this is helpful, and any questions just ask.



 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Love! I love the title of your blog :) I think it is great you are sharing your story. Love you!
    www.youngnasahousewife.com

    ReplyDelete